Thursday, June 12, 2008

Microwave instructions

I find it a little hard to believe, but a new blog-worthy sign appeared at work yesterday. This one was taped to the front of the microwave in our pantry.

I find the illustration of the microwave to be particularly helpful, in the event that you weren't quite sure to which appliance this sign applied. The list of metal items is also useful, although it excludes many metal items, such as golf clubs or dump trucks.

However, the message of the sign is what I find to be truly inspired. Are there really people who don't know that you shouldn't microwave metal? I actually remember the first time we used a microwave, to defrost strawberries at my Grandma D's house. We kept putting the strawberries on "defrost" for 1 or 2 seconds, opening the microwave cautiously, and temperature-testing the still-frozen strawberries. Even then, inexperienced as we clearly were, we knew that metal was taboo... and that was more than 25 years ago!

No comments: