Monday, March 24, 2008

A stroll through the courtyard

We had an errand that took Joker, the Bug and I to New Haven on Saturday morning. Since that doesn't happen too often, we enjoyed the opportunity to spend a couple of hours on the Yale campus.

I vividly remember BAR opening to some fanfare - it was such a swanky place; clearly very pretentious (um... really??). What I do not remotely remember was the food; I am sure I was way too broke to allocate beer money to a meal out of the dinning halls. We stopped at Bar for lunch, largely because a couple of friends have recommended the pizza as the best in New Haven. It exceeded all expectations, and the Bug even gnawed her first crust and appeared to love it.

While we were collecting our stuff to take off, the young waitresses in belly shirts were chatting near our table, very obviously about us. They said they were "wondering how we had such a beautiful baby - [we] must have stolen her!"... leaving "from those good-looking people down the street" only implied. One look confirmed that they had the completely honorable intentions of complementing the Bug, and that they had not a clue that they'd totally insulted Joker and I.

Anyway, after lunch we walked over to my former residential college, Timothy Dwight. Even though it's clearly spring break, we were able to find a student to let us in. I don't think I've been inside since graduation, and it actually brought tears to my eyes. The place looks great - the renovation a couple of years ago really improved the common rooms, although since the TV room appears to now be a part of the library, I am not sure where the students watch 2008's version of 90210. The fence around the courtyard has been removed, and comfortable-looking wooden tables and chairs have replaced the stone benches in each corner. Dennis Park's tree has grown lovely.

I showed Joker where I lived each year, where I played countless hours of volleyball in the courtyard, and where I ate so many lousy meals. I was ecstatic to bring the Bug back to a place that meant so much to me!

Ă€she!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm really disappointed they moved Dennis's tree. I actually had to hunt around the courtyard to find it.