Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Democratic primaries

I was very pleased to see that Hillary Clinton won the New Hampshire primary yesterday. I am supporting her for a number of reasons, including that she's smart as hell and that I think she'd be a great leader. I love what she's done as a New York Senator, and I was wildly skeptical when she took office. She's been able to accomplish a great deal as a relatively hawkish, moderate Democrat by reaching across the aisle, listening, and crafting smart legislation that could get through the (until recently) Republican-dominated Congress. Plus, she's got great experience that includes an unparalleled eight years in the White House already. If you have the time, check out Gloria Steinem's excellent piece in yesterday's New York Times.

That said, I am not "anti-Barack Obama" by any stretch. Truth be told, I agree with Steinem that eight years of a Clinton White House (preferably with Obama as VP), followed by eight years of an Obama White House, may be the very best way to clean up the mess that W. has created. I hardly dare to hope that a Clinton-Obama ticket will become reality, and if Obama is the Democratic nominee I will support him enthusiastically.

I hope that this race does not deteriorate into character slanders and other negativity that somehow open the door to a Republican victory in November. This election is wildly important for our country, and I believe a Republican victory would be a disaster. These two politicians are both smart, capable, and great leaders. I hope that the Democratic campaigns smartly demonstrate the candidates' differences, and allows the primary process to put forth an impressive and highly electable ticket.

To that end, please vote in your state's primary (to the extent that your party registration allows), or participate in your caucus. And if you're participating in the Republican primary process, good luck to you in finding a great candidate in this candidate pool.

No comments: