Friday, January 18, 2008

Complete drivel

The other day I had a couple of hours to kill when a meeting got postponed. My next meeting was in the Time Warner Center, so I figured that would be an easy place to hole up and read my book for a while.

As it turns out, there isn't a Starbucks there, and the cafe within the Borders was packed. I ultimately found a quiet corner within the bookstore, but before I even pulled out my book I got distracted since I was in the music section. There's a book about golfing by Alice Cooper, which seemed pretty amusing. And an annotated book of Grateful Dead lyrics which was shockingly uninteresting.

But the one that I couldn't believe was called The Heroin Diaries, which is not something edgy and interesting by Irvine Welsh. No, this is a book by Motley Crue's drummer Nikki Sixx. It is supposedly his diary from one year in his heroin-addled life. After each entry - and let's be honest here; does anyone really believe that moron kept a diary? - there's current commentary from either himself or one of the people involved in that particular anecdote. It may be the absolute worst book ever to be published.

No comments: