Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Two dental milestones

I hate the dentist. I mean, I REALLY hate the dentist. I hate the sounds, the smells, how it feels... and I have never even had a cavity. I actually get violent thoughts while I am in the dentist's chair, and I only get through it by clenching my fists, squeezing my eyes shut, and desperately wishing I could find my spirit animal.

So it is with quite a bit of pride that I announce two major dental milestones. Number one: for the first time, I didn't cry today. I didn't even tear up when my teeth were being cleaned. And number two: this marks the longest streak of visiting the dentist every six months of my adult life. It's my third on-schedule visit.

If I am completely honest with myself, though, the only reason I didn't slap ole Dr. Paul's hand out of my mouth, stand up, and run out halfway through the cleaning is that soon the Bug will have a tooth, and I'll make her go to the dentist. I couldn't handle the hypocrisy.

No comments: