Monday, November 12, 2007

Roller derby

"Obsession" may be a strong word, but I'm pretty sure I have a new one. It's roller derby. My sister dressed up as a roller derby queen for Halloween, and she's since actually gone to watch a bout. Then last night we saw this excellent profile of a couple of skaters on Treasure HD (which is rapidly becoming our favorite television network).

I've been checking out the Gotham Girls Roller Derby league online. The championship bout, between the Bronx Gridlock and the Queens of Pain, is coming up this Saturday night. I'm totally disappointed that it's happening on the night of the Harvard/Yale Game - I would love to attend. Plus, at the after-party they've got $2 PBRs with your wristband. Cool.

Unfortunately, my sweet husband doesn't believe that I am roller derby material. There's a league in Connecticut, too. But if you are, tryouts are next week... anyone have their A-Game?

2 comments:

ZenLightning said...

There's a bit of Roller Derby in every girl. If you're curious and interested in trying out, go for it. Try-out's give you a little taste of what's to come if you do join. Then you can decide if you want to take the plunge and be a derby girl.

Rock On,
Tyleah
www.DerbyOrDie.com

Sexyredkid said...

I think your husband is scared that you'd be tougher than him. You could have a cool name like A'OK and ride around throwing elbows at other roller girls. Go get 'em!