Monday, February 2, 2009

Our nation's capital

What a whirlwind weekend! We drove down to Washington, DC to attend an engagement party for Uncle Shane and Ali, Joker's father in tow. My parents came into town, too, so the Bug got to spend the weekend with all of her biggest fans. Suffice it to say, the party was a lot of fun, and it was great to spend some time with Shane's friends, and to get to know some of Ali's.

Sunday was absolutely beautiful, so we spent the morning out and about, walking from our hotel to the Mall (where we met my parents and Shane and Ali). We stopped in front of the White House to say "Hello" to the Obamas, and the Bug practically ran from there to the Washington Monument. The open grass, warm springlike air, and lots of other kids was heaven to her! We saw the World War II Memorial, which I find incredibly moving, and headed past the reflecting pool and up the steps to the Lincoln Memorial.

I hadn't done that in years, and was amazed at how powerful it was. The magnitude of just what Lincoln had to do is staggering, and the place itself truly captures his spirit. Tears came to my eyes as I read the words of the Gettysberg Address and of his second inaugural speech. I know the Bug won't remember this visit to our nation's capital, but I certainly will.

No comments: