Thursday, December 6, 2007

EEOC, part 2

I've decided to at least explore whether or not I have an EEOC case against my employer, and have called to open a file. The first step is pretty innocuous - you give a person some basic information over the phone, both about yourself and your employer, and they mail out a questionnaire which asks for additional detail. I have not officially filed a claim until the EEOC field office receives this document, either by mail or an in-person meeting. In New York State, I have 300 days from the initial action taken against me to do so. The person I spoke with is an "impartial party", so was not able to give any reaction as to whether or not I have a case here.

The reason for my taking this step? I called our disability insurance company to inquire as to why I have only received four weeks of disability pay thus far, and was told that our coverage is only for a total of six weeks if a woman delivered vaginally and eight weeks for a Cesarean delivery, the first week of either of which is completely unpaid. I reread our handbook, and really feel that the language was misleading. Technically it doesn't say that we are covered for 90 days, but I really believed that to be the case. So I was pretty angry and decided to do something about it. Hence, the call to the EEOC.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So what is the next step after opening a file? Is it research from their side; anything active from yours?

Cheers-
paul