Thursday, July 22, 2010

Toddler diversity

One of the things I really love about the Bug's pre-school is its diversity.  The kids seem to come from all different types of backgrounds and the class looks like a pint-sized Benetton ad.  I want my kids to grow up truly color blind - when they describe friends to me, skin color should be too unimportant to mention. 

In the mean time, I've gotten some unnerving comments and questions.  The Bug's told me that a couple of her friends "have different skin," and that she "doesn't like" another girl's kinky hair.  I remind her that we all have different skin and hair, too - daddy's covered in freckles, Bug's a blondie, Bunny's bald - and that we all still play the same games and have fun together.  I'm trying to acknowledge that there are differences in our appearances, while helping her to realize that these differences really don't matter.  It's been a little tricky, and I hope I'm doing a good job with it.  I know that Joker and my behavior will impact her attitudes far more than any words ever will, but I've still got to answer those questions. 

No comments: