Friday, June 18, 2010

Questionnaire of Reading Habits, part 1

Here's a reading meme I found on a book review blog I enjoy... I'd love to read your answers, too!

1. How old were you when you learned how to read?
I was pretty young; I was definitely able to read before I turned five.

2. Were you a big reader growing up?
In absolute terms I would have been considered a pretty big reader. Compared to the other kids in my class, I was voracious.

3. Are there any books that left a big impression on you as a kid?
I still remembered the words to The Monster at the End of this Book when I bought it for the Bug last year. Childhood books that remain dear to me today include The Velveteen Rabbit and Little Women.

4. Favourite genres? (Do you read mainly fiction or non-fiction? Do you have a soft spot for horror, sci-fi, or romance?)
I read mostly literary fiction, and sample virtually every sub-genre. I try to mix it up to include current books and the classics, diverse authors and even a sampling of short stories.

5. Top 5 favorite authors.
This list is constantly evolving, though I would have to say right now it includes Fyodor Dostoevsky, Evelyn Waugh, Jane Austen, William Faulkner and Haruki Murakami.

6. Top 5 favorite books.
Another constantly evolving list, currently topped by The Brothers Karamazov, The Master and Margarita, Beloved, Brideshead Revisited and War and Peace.

7. Where do you prefer to read?
I can read just about anywhere, and I carry a book wherever I go. I read on the train during my commute home (in the mornings I read the newspaper) and I try to read a few pages before bed as well. Sometimes I read during lunch, while waiting in line, on the subway, during pedicures or at the bar while waiting for a friend.

8. Do you like to eat or drink something while you read? If so, what are your foods and beverages of choice?
I'll have a beer on the train from time to time, but I'm not a particularly great multi-tasker so I don't usually do anything else while I read.

9. What do you typically wear when you read? (I swear, I don’t mean this in a dirty way. My mind is a pure as the first snow of the year – before it gets contaminated by dog poo and engine exhaust, that is. ) Casual wear? Pyjamas? Jeans? Something more elaborate and stylish?
Who the hell cares?

10. On average, how many books do you read a month?
Only about 2-3.

11. How do you get hold of the books? Do you buy them at a bookstore, visit an online store, borrow from a friend or family member, or do you use the library?
I buy almost all of my books, and almost always from a bookstore because I like to browse. I had a fabulous independent bookstore until recently, the staff of which was an excellent resource. Now I research my books online and keep a to-read list on my Blackberry for times when browsing doesn't yield inspiration.

No comments: