Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The passing of the sculptor

It may or may not be apparent based on some of the topics I write about, but I read the obituaries every day. I enjoy reading life stories, whether about the early conquerors of Mt. Everest, to the inventor of the TV dinner, to unheralded heroes in the civil rights movement.

Today I learned about the passing of Coosje van Bruggen, who you've probably never heard of. She collaborated with Claes Oldenburg on more than 40 sculptures, including "Spoonbridge and Cherry" in Minneapolis of which I posted a postcard photo in July. You can check out all of their works on their website by clicking here - they're really impressive! I've only had the pleasure to see a few of them in person, but I will certainly keep my eyes peeled going forward.

No comments: