Monday, February 11, 2008

Sense and Sensibility

This is the second of Jane Austen's novels that I've read (not counting my aborted attempts to get through Emma), and I do like her writing. Sense and Sensibility is a nice story, and I enjoyed the book. That said, I am reminded of a good friend's statement years ago in one of our book club meetings, that he doesn't like "parlour lit." I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but I do feel like something is lacking. Specifically with Austen, and I felt this way with Pride and Prejudice as well, I kind of get the feeling that about 350 pages into writing the novel, she had had ENOUGH ALREADY and just decided to wrap it all up. I mean, no action whatsoever until the last 20 pages, and whoop-di-do, you've got marriages and new homes and grudges have been forgiven. It's a bit of a whirlwind.

Plus, be honest. Did anyone really believe that Elinor loved Edward?

No comments: