Thursday, February 16, 2012

Small town

Like Johnny Cougar, I was born in a small town.  And I was raised in rather near a small town.  Then I moved, and I moved far.  I moved to a big city.  Then I moved to the biggest city.  And I loved it.  I really, really loved it.  New York has more of everything, bigger of everything, the best of everything.  Food, drinks, nightlife, art, culture, industry, finance, media, friends, shopping, parks - grand scale, intimate setting, action, relaxation - New York has it all.

And then, just like that, after 15 years living and/or working in the biggest city, I have moved.  To ANOTHER small town.

And boy, is Evergreen ever small!  I've lived here for a few months and already can't go to the grocery store without running into someone I know.  On Friday night I found myself bidding for some "kid art" against the local real estate/oil magnate (I lost); Sunday I was using his ski house bathroom for a pit stop after the drive to Winter Park.

The thing that surprises me is that I love it.  I really do.  I couldn't wait to get the hell out of dodge when I graduated from high school, and I swore I'd never look back.  But now, with kids of my own, I couldn't be happier to be here.  In a small town. 

It may be that there's something I can relate to in the people who live in this small town.  They're not a bunch of rednecks or high school dropouts or small-minded hicks.  This small town is filled with people like me - people who chose to move to a small town after having other experiences and doing other things.  I think that might be why I love it so much.  My new small town.

No comments: