Monday, February 20, 2012

A damn fine mountain

Vail is a place that I almost hate to love. Unlike the other Colorado ski towns, Vail has no historic mining past freckled with colorful characters. In fact, it didn't even exist until almost 50 years ago. But I've got to hand it to the prescient people who decided to turn the top of Vail Pass into a ski resort. It is an awesome mountain. There are more runs than I could possibly do, and more terrain than any other place around. The mountain is massive. Joker and I had the good fortune to stay with my sister in Vail for the weekend. Without the girls. We ate, drank, slept and (of course) skied. I can't deny that a four-year hiatus hasn't exactly helped my snowboarding skills, but was it ever fun to be out there!! The ridiculous side of Vail was in bold display as well. Women dripping with uncountable karats of diamonds; women in fur hats or muffs or cuffs or full ensembles. A $270 entree at the burger place at Lionshead. But there is no denying that Vail is one hell of a great place to ski. Thanks again to Jessie and her friends for hosting us, and to Mima and Boppie for sponsoring a farm weekend for the girls!

No comments: