Thursday, April 7, 2011

Bucket lists for you and me

With my NYC departure looming in the not-too-distant future, I'm working on compiling my New York Bucket List.  So far, it includes:

  • Take the Bug and the Bunny to the Statue of Liberty
  • Bring the Bug to work
  • See a Knicks playoff game
  • Take the audio tour of Grand Central
  • Visit the Morgan Pierpont Library
I'll keep adding to it (and crossing things off), and I am solicitous of any suggestions! 

On the flip side, I will be posting about some of my favorite things about New York - things that I hope you add to your own bucket lists!  So here goes, the first in that series...

Why I Love NYC #1: Grand Central Terminal


Sitting in the shadow of the art deco Chrysler Building, Grand Central Terminal has a history as storied as New York City itself.  It was a technological ground-breaker when it was built, and every great new invention was embraced here first.  The exposed lightbulbs throughout the terminal, for example, date back to the invention of the incandescent light bulb, when no one wanted to hide that cool new invention behind a fixture. 

The ceiling of the massive lobby includes a representation of the major constellations of our galaxy, including Pegasus (above the gate to Track 21) and the signs of the zodiac.  One of my favorite trivia nuggets: it's exactly backwards from what you see standing on Earth; rather, it was painted as the view the gods have when they look in to the Milky Way.

Grand Central is part of my daily commute, and every time I walk in I am struck by its magnificence and beauty.  And not every old-ass building can accommodate the sheer volume of traffic that it handles day in and day out with remarkable accuracy.

No comments: