Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Bug loves books

We started reading to the Bug every night when she was just a little bit of a thing. I'm pretty sure that she didn't have any idea what was going on, but it was a part of our bedtime routine. Now, I'm sure that she not only knows that we're reading to her, but she has books that she prefers over others. Sometimes she'll want to read to herself, flipping backward and forward through the pages. Other times, and these are my favorite, she'll drag the book over, hand it to me, and crawl into my lap. That is my signal to begin at the beginning.

If anyone is looking for some winners, here are the current favorites of our almost-1-year-old Bug:

  • Mr. Pusskins: A Love Story, by Sam Lloyd. This stands out as the absolute current favorite; we'll read it 10+ times a day. Sweet story, fantastic illustrations, and the Bug likes to caterwaul along when we get to the appropriate page.
  • Good Night Denver, by Susan Bouse. This is part of the "Good Night Our World" series, which showcases other cities like Philly or Washington. Bug loves the pictures; the text is unintentionally funny.
  • No Matter What, by Debi Gliori. Beautifully illustrated story about unconditional love.
  • Barnyard Dance!, by Sandra Boynton. The real story of what farm animals do when my Dad's not watching.
  • Mini Masters series, by Julie Merberg. These tell a story through the classic paintings of Matisse or Degas or Van Gogh. I just thought they'd be pretty, but they're compelling little stories, too.

No comments: