Thursday, September 27, 2007

Little Women

My great grandmother had a set of Louisa May Alcott books that were published in the early 1900s: Little Men, Jo's Boys, Eight Cousins, Rose in Bloom, Under the Lilacs and Jack and Jill. My great aunt was kind enough to give me An Old Fashioned Girl from the same set when we were in Colorado in August. Notably missing from the set is Little Women, which was my favorite book when I was growing up. I loved it so much I read and re-read it, as well as every one of the books my antique set, countless times.

I've been trying to complete my Alcott set on eBay for the past few weeks, but I keep missing the copies of Little Women that I've seen! My husband taught me how to "snipe" when we began dating, but these days I never seem to have the time to log on to eBay when the auctions are coming to an end. I have, however, bought Aunt Jo's Scrapbag, and Work. I've seen other sets of books that include the elusive Little Women, but I don't really want a half dozen duplicates... I am determined to find this last missing book, if I have to buy a matching copy of every other book by Alcott, whether or not I've ever heard of it.

2 comments:

Pazzy said...

What is sniping?? Do tell!

Angie said...

Sniping is pretty sweet, although I think that the good folks at eBay frown upon it. Basically, you wait until the last second or two of the auction, and put in your absolute highest price. The idea is that the other guy will never have the time to up his bid, and you'll win the item. Shady, my friend. Shady.