Thursday, April 26, 2012

Jump. Lift. Run.

I've tried to keep myself in more or less decent shape for years now, primarily by running.  I even thought I was reasonably dedicated the last couple of years; I'd get up at 4:45am a few days a week to go for a run since it was the only time I could work it into my schedule.  I ran as long as possible into both pregnancies.  And I really enjoyed running the occasional road race, too.

But something totally different has recently happened to my workout routine.  Joker convinced me to go to a gym.  And not just any old gym, but one that is part of a "thing."  Apparently a trendy thing.  It's the CrossFit here in Evergreen, and I have been loving it.  I lift weights for the first time in my life.  I am working towards doing real pull-ups and handstand push-ups.  I make crossfit jokes with the other people in my classes.  I'm even doing crossfit things (like odd sit-up variants and pushups and the like) at home after my regular run-of-the-mill jogs.

I'm not sure if those insane obstacle-laced races are next.  I'm not sure if this is all just a side effect of living in Evergreen.  I'm not even sure how long my interest in jumping on boxes or doing dead lifts will last.  But for now, I'm stronger and thinner than I have been in years.  Even if it just leads to more tank tops year-round, it's probably a good thing.

No comments: