Friday, April 15, 2011

Why I love NYC #3: Live Music

New Orleans has its funk, Nashville its country, Austin its indie, Los Angeles its hip hop, but New York is the place to see it all.  I have seen hundreds of shows in dozens of venues across the city, every genre you can imagine, and I haven't come close to cracking music scene. 

I have seen Garth Brooks and the Metropolitan Opera play free shows in Central Park.  I fondly remember seeing Jerry Jeff Walker at the long-gone Tramps, bands I'd never heard of at CBGB, all sorts of noodly jam bands at the Wetlands.  Deep Banana Blackout at Irving Plaza, Phish at The Garden, Angelique Kidjo at the Apollo, Doughty at the Bowery Ballroom, the Allmans at the Beacon. I've banged my head with Metallica at Giant's Stadium, shaked my pregnant ass with Ozomatli at Irving Plaza and smoked pot with the String Cheese Incident in Radio City Music Hall.

There are more concerts seven days a week than any person could ever hope to see.  There is no such thing as the "concert season" here - live music is year-round.  If you're a music fan in New York City, there is always something fun to do tonight.

No comments: